The following tips may help the child with speech sound difficulties in connective speech:
- Always try to slow down your own speech, this will encourage the child to slow down and is much easier than asking them to slow down!
- Encourage the child to say the last sounds of each word; this will help the listener follow what is being said
- Repeat back any of the sentences where you hear a speech sound error, this provides a good model for the child. Try not to ask them to keep saying the word correctly as it can make the child feel pressured
- Encourage the child to use an appropriate volume, shouting and talking quietly make it harder to understand the child
- If you donít understand what the child is saying ask them to try another word or find another way of showing you what they mean e.g. pointing or taking you to the item. This will help to reduce frustration
- Always remember to praise the child for their good talking!