Communication is a central issue, pervading everything else we do in schools, as it is the key to our pupils accessing and influencing the world around them and being open to learning.
In this course we will explore strategies to establish a communication dialogue with non-verbal students whose learning difficulties and sensory impairments make them hard to reach.
¡ To analyse and understand some of the problems of communication for students with complex needs
¡ To explore different strategies to establish a communication dialogue:
¡ To explore ways in which these communication techniques can be used across the curriculum
¡ To look at different ways of recording PMLD students’ progress
· The basic principles of Body Signing
· Using Intensive Interaction
· Sensory Integration therapy
· Sherborne Movement and Arts therapies
· Augmentative Communication systems
· Individual target-setting
· Assessment and recording of pupils’ progress.