This course is suitable for anyone working with and supporting a child or young person with profound and multiple learning disability. It explores areas that are particularly relevant in enabling an individual to get the most out of their environment, and addressing their need to feel safe and secure within it. It offers an overview of development, assessing and measuring progress and communication as well as exploring practical activities for interaction and engagement.
- To enable practitioners to increase their understanding and knowledge of PMLD and develop supportive strategies withing the learning movement.
- To clearly define PMLD and examine ways of assessing the personal progress of a child with PMLD.
- To examine the curriculum for children with PMLD.
- To explore activities that are engaging for children with PMLD.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for anyone working with, teaching or supporting a child or young person with profound and multiple learning disabilities.
- How a child with PMLD may perceive the world
- How to engage children successfully in fun activities
- How to support children at an early level of communicative competence
- About sensory systems and the impact of impairment
- How to plan learning activities and develop resources for a sensory curriculum
- An understanding of a wider definition of progress and different measuring tools
- An understanding of different forms of communication and how to use them
- An understanding of the wide range of needs of an individual with PMLD and how to address some of those needs
- How to plan for learning at every opportunity throughout the day, and differentiate within group activities
- To be able to map the development of a child with PMLD